Wednesday 29 May 2013

WOYWW4 208

YAY!!! WOYWW 4th Anniversary is here at last!

WOYWW stands for 'What's On Your Work desk Wednesday'  If you too would like to join in the fun then, take a pic of your work desk and share it with lots of other like minded (nosey) people. This week is WOYWW 4th anniversary and Julia has organised  an ATC swap for those that  would like to participate, if you would like to join in the fun hop on over to Julia's blog  Stamping-Ground  for more info. Hope to see you there.

Hello peeps,
Happy  WOYWW 4th birthday to all.
Last week I had several comments about making  blending blocks from my wood mounted stamps and Bridget Larsen asked for some close ups, so I have taken some photos to show how I,  and with a bit of cutting and sanding from hubby ( don't think he thought cutting and sanding 36 blocks was a "bit") made them.
I daren't tell him I will need another twelve blocks if  (when) I finally get the full set of DI.
So  here are the pics for WOYWW4
Sorry Julia this is a long post, if you have popped in to visit me, you can just look at the first pic then leave lol
Jaspers says he thinks there is a stowaway in among the blending blocks box (easy for you to say) lol

Yes there is definitely something hiding in here!

 Better get down to business
I chose the largest stamps to use, thinking they would be easier to cut and I would get more blocks out of them.

First of all, if possible remove the picture film from the top of the stamp and save it, in some cases I couldn't get it off so hubby sanded it off for me.

Sometimes the rubber stamp comes away easily, but if it doesn't, pop the whole stamp in the microwave. I did this stamp which is 4.1/2 x 3.1/2 for about 30 seconds in a 700 watt oven, so adjust the time for the size of stamp. Be careful if you leave it in too long the wood will start to burn!  You should now be able to peel the rubber stamp with its foam backing from the block and  if you want you can stick the picture film that you saved, onto  the wrong side of the rubber stamp.You would need to spray a temporary adhesive to this to use the stamp with an acrylic block.

 I then used a sticky remover spray to clean the wooden block of the sticky residue.


Hubby then cut up the block and got six smaller blocks which were sanded to get rid of any rough edges. I wanted them to be the same size as my Tim Holtz blender tool but you could make them whatever size you like.






Next I experimented with attaching  the Velcro. The block on the left has the double sided foam tape stuck to the block then the Velcro stuck on top in two pieces as it is narrower than the block. I really liked this and it worked great until I pulled the blending pad off, and the Velcro came with it. The double sided foam tape is super sticky and I cannot get it off the block but it doesn't stick to the Velcro too well which will be a nuisance when I need to change the pad.
The block on the right has the Velcro stuck on in one strip just as it is with Pinflair glue gel. Brilliant! great hold, the blending pad sticks well and it doesn't seem to make a difference that there is no padding or that  the Velcro is slightly narrower., and it stays put when pulling the pad off.

In this pic I have cut a couple of pieces from a sheet of the Ranger blending foam and used the glue gel to stick some Velcro on the back, these work on the blocks too, though I do prefer the Tim Holtz pads.as shown on the finished blocks on the right. As I mentioned before I am not bothered about a handle as I prefer to hold just the block anyway.
Up to now I own only one Timmy blending tool and it is so frustrating having to keep swapping the pads, so I am pleased with the results and that I now have a blending tool for each of my DI and it's only cost me  £3 for the Velcro, also they all fit into one A4 size plastic storage box.

I hope you have managed to make sense of my ramblings and that this may have been some help.
I would love to swap ATC's so if you are interested please let me know and we can exchange details.
Have a great day desk hopping
Happy art making
Hugs
Lottie x
Don't panic mum it's only Brad !

22 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a labour of love.... does he take orders?? Happy WOYWW Helen, 39

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tut.... I'm a 'born again' stamper and forgotten most of what I knew!!
    You are next to me for an ATC swap so can you email me your addy please.
    BTW love your cat, I have a 'thing' about Gingers........
    Bishopsmate # 91

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have a great DH there willing to help you in the name of craft, what a great idea and almost free as well
    Wishing you and everyone a Very Happy WOYWW today
    Ria #49

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your gorgeous Ginger Tom! Adorable,sending him hugs & fusses. Great blocks, I saved a load of smaller blocks when i unmounted my stamps & did the same thing. Have a great week, Hugs Shaz #150 xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! Jaspers fascinated isn't he. Thanks for sharing. Have a very happy 4th WOYWW birthday. Caro x (#67)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty and curious cat. Three cheers for the mister!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lottie, great idea to get hubby involved, it did make me smile that he may have to make some more for you! Love Jasper, he is one gorgeous cat. Happy 4th WOYWW, hugs, Anne x #61

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lottie, those cat pictures of Jasper were a riot! He was really intrigued by your brilliant idea to upcycle old large stamps into DI pad holders!

    Thank you so much for coming by the Playhouse earlier! Happy WOYWW 4th Anniversary and I hope you have a wonderful week! Darnell #34

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh look at your adorable kitty!! would you still like to swap, lottie, as I have a couple of ATCs left? blogger won't let me open the email link on your profile *sigh* so if can send a 'hello' email to claire.sauer@ntlworld.com, I can send my addy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know I’m a day late but I’m trying to make it around everyone this week.
    It’s going to take some time, but I wanted to say that it’s amazing that the internet can bring together so many likeminded people and I’m grateful that WOYWW has also brought along so many new friends, thanks to Julia.

    Well, it looks like jasper is having some fun on your table this week. My Bo’s exactly the same you know, if he thinks there something in there he never gives up, especially if he thinks it’s edible, Lol.

    Enjoy your weekly snoop, especially as we’re celebrating WOYWW’s 4th Anniversary.
    Happy Crafting!
    Sue @82

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a fantastic idea. I've got so many wooden blocks that I don't know what to do with. Happy belated 4th WOYWW. Pam#33

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lottie, great blending blocks well worth the effort I 'd love to do a swap with you if you email me your deets to ...toniajao99@btinternet.com, I'll get one in the post , great fun this, love your beautiful cat happy WOYWW xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work with the blocks, so much cheaper that way. Looking forward to our SWAP, don't forget to send me your addy (should be able to reply to this comment directly) Hugs BJ#76

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a clever cat! Happy WOYWW. Clever you too using the blocks like that!

    Cazzy x #177

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lottie,

    Thanks for visiting me was great having you pop in. I to am a person that has made her own blending tools for the sponges, but I still have some of Timmies blenders as well. It is a fantastic shot of the beautiful orange man there playing with the blocks. Pets are wonderful to have around, I really enjoy the company of my furry friends.

    Happy 4th Birthday WOYWW
    Eliza 75

    ReplyDelete
  16. For 4 years now i've been dropping by,
    To view some desks and see what I can spy,
    Will it be a card, some stash or ATC,
    whatever it is, thanks for sharing it,
    Happy Belated WOYWW 4th Anniversary

    PS I too make my own blocks, there very handy aren't they!

    Hugz Minxy #60

    ReplyDelete


  17. Wow - your hubbie deserves an award! I hadn't thought of putting my wood mounted stamps in the microwave to get them off the wood. Thanks for the tutorial! Very cool

    Thanks for visiting me already! I came back from Phoenix and had some appointments so am just now getting around. Better late than never!

    Happy WOYWW
    Kay (158)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the tips on removing stamps from blocks :) Happy late WOYWW4 hugs Nikki 145

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brilliant idea. Well done.
    Margaret #70

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a marvelous idea...and made from upcycled stamp backs...brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun post Lottie,
    Jasper is so cute on the hunt there ;D
    You have been a busy bee but then so has your hubby!
    Fantastic ideas and one I'm going to store away for future reference.
    Thanks for sharing and for popping over to my place earlier.
    Have fun with the 4th Anniversary WOYWW :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for paying me a visit today and leaving your comment and a little crafty happiness. Hugs Lottie x